Portland, Or. – More than 300 drivers have a fresh reminder not to drive while distracted. Portland Police say they issued a slew of tickets in July. First time violation for driving while on your cell phone is $ 270. State funding helped pay for last month’s crackdown.
5 Distracted Driving Stats you should know:
1. On average there are 3,179 people killed every year as a result of Distracted Driving
2. 1 in 4 is the probability that a cell phone was the cause of a Distracted Driving crash
3. 60% of the population use a cell phone while driving
4. 21-24 year olds are more likely to send a text or email while driving
5. You are 4 X’s more likely to be involved in a crash using your cell phone while driving